With Halloween right around the corner, here is some interesting information to help keep your pets safe. Did you know that “Glow” sticks and other glow in the dark objects like necklaces and bracelets can be toxic to pets if ingested? “Glow” sticks, necklaces and bracelets can be a ton of fun and make a great addition to any Halloween costume, especially for younger children. Just keep in mind what looks great in the dark can be very enticing to our four legged friends as well. Often cats find these glow sticks irresistible and unfortunately the chemicals inside are extremely bitter tasting and can cause excessive foaming at the mouth and salivation. Ingestion of the “Glow” stick can also cause vomiting.
If your pet has ingested or bitten into a “Glow” stick you will notice these symptoms within seconds. Thankfully, ingestion of is not life threatening and usually cats will start feeling better once the taste is out of their mouth. You can help move the process along by giving them some highly palatable foods like milk, just be sure the food does not contain very much fat.
If your pet is showing any of these symptoms but has not had exposure to any glow in the dark objects you should take them to your veterinarian immediately. Please call and talk to one of our friendly staff at Murrayhill Veterinary Hospital for more information. Also, check out this link to see Dr. Chea Hall discussing household hazards and other items to watch for to keep your pets safe.